In today's age, women are often a target for sexual assault. Young girls are taught from a young age to never go anywhere alone, especially at night. While this is a very valid concern, many women feel comfortable and safe hiking on the Appalachian Trail alone. Megan, a young thru hiker and blogger shared that her most popular response to her announcement about thru hiking the Appalachian trail was “You’re not going alone, are you?” Megan goes on to explain that she had done several short distance hikes in different terrains before embarking on her Appalachian trail thru hike and did not feel scared to hike alone. She wanted to hike alone for many different reasons. She wanted to be able to grow by forcing her own limits and being able to motivate herself. She also wanted to be able to do things her own way and call her own shots. If she had a hiking partner she would have to keep up with their pace which was not something that she wanted to do. Megan goes on to share safety tips...
A little background about me, I enlisted in the Army Reserves right out of high school, leaving for Basic Training at Fort Benning Georgia the September after I graduated. I am not going to take credit for this line, but I believe that one of my fellow Soldiers hit the nail on the head when he said that the experience was “the best fun I never want to have again.” Looking back, almost four years later and remembering all the stress, shenanigans, and friendships that I had made makes me both happy and proud of all I have been able to accomplish. One of the events that made me the proudest was the completion of our final 12-mile ruck. To give a little bit of context, we completed this during our last week of training exercises. We had stayed out in the field for a week, did a Night Infiltration Course, went back to the barracks for 3 hours of sleep, and then stepped off for this hike. Upon our return after 5 grueling hours of marching under combat load, I will n...
The Axioms are a neat concept in identifying sacred territory. They provide an in depth guideline into how a place is deemed as a sacred space. By using this simple and easily understood concept it could be used to detect places that seem to be sacred to certain cultures by analyzing the connection the people have with the land. There are four of these axioms that are used to identify a sacred place: sacred place chooses and is not chosen, the normal place is made extraordinary through ritual, sacred place can be tred on without being entered, and it is both a centripetal and centrifugal location. By carrying these four values, a place may be qualified to be viewed as a sacred place. With these axioms in mind, identifying sacred place becomes easy as well as a skill for those who seek for these cultural centers. Applying this knowledge to study any culture allows for the researcher to identify key locations i...
Comments
Post a Comment